Why The "Panicking Christian"?

Like most Christians, I occasionally find myself in a borderline, all out panic about something which I already knew, but seem to have forgotten or that I only knew in my head, as opposed to my heart. And mercifully, God decides to show me what is really going on or what it is that I needed to know, before I completely lose my mind.

So the writing within is just that. It is that which God has shown and taught me while I was typically in one of those times in my life. Since the way in which He has chosen to reveal things to me tend to be fairly easy to follow and understand, I am sharing them via this format. That said, I take no glory for any of this. It is God whom has given me the ability to write, and it is He who has given me the content to write as well and He who saved me by His glorious grace in the first place.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Oh Well

Something that God has been talking about to me over the last few days can best be described by the words "apathy" and "indifference" and this in more than one regard.

Sin.  None of us are perfect.  While we may be being transformed into the likeness of Christ, we all have our weaknesses and shortcomings, not to mention the "old self" always trying to regain some measure of control in our lives.  Now, sometimes, when we do something we know we should not, we are overwhelmed by that failing - initially.  If it happens again, however, that repulsion may be less than it was the first time until, after repeated fallings, we become indifferent to it and that sinful behavior becomes an accepted part of our life. Yes, I did say that that sin becomes accepted.

Service. Many of us take part in some form or fashion of service to our fellow human beings. Sometimes it is within the church, an outside organization, or even something smaller and more personal that most people will never know about.  Chances are, when we first began doing <whatever>, we were excited (maybe nervous) and it was all about God. However, after a while, that excitement may have dwindled and the focus on Whom we were doing it for in the first place, may have faded from view.  We now merely go through the motions - becoming indifferent to what true motives and focus should be.

The Word.  This is Palm Sunday and soon it shall be Good Friday, then Easter.  Many of us know the verses in the Gospel about this time of year in history quite well.  That can actually be a problem as, in our familiarity with them, we may have hit the point where we all but merely pass over them mindlessly.  We no longer truly appreciate the Biblical account of events or take any real note of the words of Jesus said during this critical point in time.  And this is not limited to merely this portion of Scripture, but extends to all of it.  We become so familiar that we actually become indifferent.

So a challenge is in order perhaps.  Take a look, a real look, at your own life (in all areas) and heart.  Are there places where you have become indifferent where surely you should not be so?  Are there any sins that have become habit or accepted as part of the normal routine? Is your focus and motive where it should be in what you do? Have you read the Word "for the first time" recently?

I pray that those who would read or hear this would have their eyes opened to truly see and their ears and hearts opened to not only hear, but listen as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment