Why The "Panicking Christian"?

Like most Christians, I occasionally find myself in a borderline, all out panic about something which I already knew, but seem to have forgotten or that I only knew in my head, as opposed to my heart. And mercifully, God decides to show me what is really going on or what it is that I needed to know, before I completely lose my mind.

So the writing within is just that. It is that which God has shown and taught me while I was typically in one of those times in my life. Since the way in which He has chosen to reveal things to me tend to be fairly easy to follow and understand, I am sharing them via this format. That said, I take no glory for any of this. It is God whom has given me the ability to write, and it is He who has given me the content to write as well and He who saved me by His glorious grace in the first place.

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Pant, Wheeze, Gasp.....

The Bible likens our walk with Christ to a race. While this is good way to look at it, I think some of us make the mistake of thinking it is a 100m / 100yd dash and that we are well trained athletes. That we explode off the starting block full speed and maintain that throughout our short distance, crossing the finish line quickly and easily, even if maybe a bit spent.


Perhaps for some, that is true but not for most of us. For most of us, our Christian journey is more of a marathon and we, are at best, "weekend warriors" (or couch warriors for that matter). Our "race" begins and we explode off the starting block, only to find the race continuing - and our persons complaining about that fact - not far down the road. So we find our pace slowing, and we get upset with ourselves for not pacing ourselves better, not being in better shape, or not being as "fast as that other guy". But we continue moving forward even if not the picture of athletic prowess - we hobble here and there as cramps come and go and we stop moving now and then as we gasp in air desperately. But we do continue, even in spite of all this. Going back to the starting line is no option for us and that finish line has to be up there someplace ... maybe around that next turn.


It does not matter if you cross that line running like a graceful deer or stumble across it half alive with tear filled eyes, all that matters is that you finish. This is your race - your walk with Christ - not someone else's. And you can make it.


"..one thing I do: Forgetting  what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." ~ Philippians 3:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment