Why The "Panicking Christian"?

Like most Christians, I occasionally find myself in a borderline, all out panic about something which I already knew, but seem to have forgotten or that I only knew in my head, as opposed to my heart. And mercifully, God decides to show me what is really going on or what it is that I needed to know, before I completely lose my mind.

So the writing within is just that. It is that which God has shown and taught me while I was typically in one of those times in my life. Since the way in which He has chosen to reveal things to me tend to be fairly easy to follow and understand, I am sharing them via this format. That said, I take no glory for any of this. It is God whom has given me the ability to write, and it is He who has given me the content to write as well and He who saved me by His glorious grace in the first place.

Monday, October 12, 2015

More than talk

So much of what we hear or read about "being the Body of Christ" seems to revolve around our behaviors in regards to "the Law" - that is lying, sexual matters, slander, etc. But is that all there is to "being the Body" - being "well behaved" or "morally upright"?

James 2:15-16 reads: " Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?"

I know it is popular to bitch about how the government is not doing enough for those in need within our own country but have you ever stopped to consider that that was never something the government was supposed to be responsible for? For that matter, the notion they are is actually not that old.  Who is responsible then? The Church is who was to be responsible to help those in need (consider Lev. 23:22, for example). With that thought in mind, I find myself pondering how we are actually doing in that regard. I know there are many aid organizations affiliated with the Church, but how are we doing on a smaller scale?

Perhaps you read that and think "but our local church is only 20 people, what can we do?" No one says you have to pay someone's rent or clothe a family or buy groceries for a year so do not get caught up in the scale of how many need help. Something as simple as giving away a cup of coffee can make some difference. Think about it: a can of coffee + sugar + whitener (easier to store than milk) + coffee filters runs about $20 and could serve well over a hundred people. I know it seems trivial - a cup of coffee - but to someone who does not have much, even small things matter a great deal. If you ponder perhaps actually feeding people food, again you do not have to serve a full turkey dinner everyday to everyone who has need - even simple "mac n cheese" is food.

So a quick challenge to those within the Church who read this: do something. Find someone else who shares your thoughts and plan something out. Take it to your local church or go for it merely as fellow believers if the local seems slow to act (churches with boards and whatnot can be as slow anyplace else with same). Make coffee, hand out mittens or gloves, feed a half dozen people or whatever but DO something (preferably more than drop some change in a box on the counter when you buy your own coffee).

Do not merely read this, nod and agree and go on your way. Hear. Listen. Be the Body and change the world.

" For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." ~ Matthew 25:35-40

No comments:

Post a Comment