Why The "Panicking Christian"?

Like most Christians, I occasionally find myself in a borderline, all out panic about something which I already knew, but seem to have forgotten or that I only knew in my head, as opposed to my heart. And mercifully, God decides to show me what is really going on or what it is that I needed to know, before I completely lose my mind.

So the writing within is just that. It is that which God has shown and taught me while I was typically in one of those times in my life. Since the way in which He has chosen to reveal things to me tend to be fairly easy to follow and understand, I am sharing them via this format. That said, I take no glory for any of this. It is God whom has given me the ability to write, and it is He who has given me the content to write as well and He who saved me by His glorious grace in the first place.

Monday, November 9, 2015

Sealed with a Kiss

Have you noticed how we seem so intent upon making things more complicated than they really are or how we try to add more and more to simple things until they become very far from simple? Like, for instance, our salvation.


Separated from God by a price we cannot pay. Sin so deeply ingrained within our being that even our thoughts - even the brief ones - are sinful and more than enough to condemn us even if we did not start miles in arrears. The solution? God, being the only One who could pay such a debt, did so on our behalf through Christ Jesus who has paid that debt in full for us. We accept this fact through faith and that faith is given to us by God in the first place (Eph.2:8). So we no longer have to rely upon whatever sick version of righteousness or holiness or sinlessness that we have due to our own efforts as we now have a righteousness that has come directly from God, given to us by His amazing grace.


Seems simple enough.


So why, pray tell, do we seem to think we need to add to it? Why do we nod and agree with "the just shall live by faith" and add on something about our own efforts like that was some kind of implied extra? Why do think we have to earn the grace we have been shown or that if we screw up God is going to change His mind - like the cross of Christ were not enough somehow? How can we think - even in fantasy - that we, by some effort of our own, can rid ourselves of the sin which runs within the very core of our DNA? For if such were true that we could by some great effort of self denial and strictest adherence to the law accomplish such a feat, then Christ died for nothing. And I tell you this: my Lord did not die for nothing, anymore than He rose for nothing.


I remember an acronym from my school days: KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid. I think perhaps we need to remember that a bit more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment