Why The "Panicking Christian"?

Like most Christians, I occasionally find myself in a borderline, all out panic about something which I already knew, but seem to have forgotten or that I only knew in my head, as opposed to my heart. And mercifully, God decides to show me what is really going on or what it is that I needed to know, before I completely lose my mind.

So the writing within is just that. It is that which God has shown and taught me while I was typically in one of those times in my life. Since the way in which He has chosen to reveal things to me tend to be fairly easy to follow and understand, I am sharing them via this format. That said, I take no glory for any of this. It is God whom has given me the ability to write, and it is He who has given me the content to write as well and He who saved me by His glorious grace in the first place.

Monday, June 22, 2015

To Drive or to Draw - That is the Question

There has been a bit of "chatter", as of late, about people leaving the Church and there have been strategies galore coming out of the woodwork to stop 'believers' from leaving. But there have been a number of groups and organizations take a real serious look at this and have found, for the most part, that there are very few who are leaving the Church - that is, the Body.  Oh sure, there are believers who have left their local church but have not walked away from the Body itself, just as there has always been. However, there are many who are leaving the Church were never actually a part of it in the first place. Since there is no longer any social advantage or expectation to belong to the Church, many who do not actually fully believe are no longer pretending and are walking away.

Okay then, if the Christian Church is not dying, then why are there so many people outside of it versus those inside? What's the problem?

The problem, my dear Church, is you - it's us - we have to change.

It is not our beliefs - in Christ, God, the Bible, right or wrong - we have to change.  It is not the style of music we play or the clothes we wear that we must change.  It is not where we meet or when that we must change. It is "us".

We who say "come as you are" and then demand that those who come become "like us" as soon as they walk through the doors. The only One we are to become like is Christ (and that even not by our own efforts, but by His) and I put it to you that not one of us is a perfect example of Him. We try to place heavy loads upon the shoulders of people that we, ourselves, could not hope to carry (Acts 15:10). And in this, in this we drive them away from us in droves, for we claim to follow Christ, but we act like a Pharisee - self righteous and full of ourselves (which is pride, by the way) - standing upon our "rule following abilities" (there are oodles of people who can follow rules which have no belief in God) rather than the grace and mercy of Almighty God towards we who are as screwed up and flawed as anyone.

The problem is not how we "do church". The problem is not relevance or God. The problem is not society (the one we live in is not "that" much different than Rome was in Jesus' day) or the culture around us. The problem is "our" hearts and "our" minds - we are not drawing them in, we are pushing them away.

Now then, I cannot tell you what is in  your heart any more than you can say what is in mine - only God knows that.  I can say though that if any of this has struck a chord with you or has resulted in you becoming a bit defiant, then perhaps you should honestly (and that means willing to listen even if it means hearing something you would rather not) pray as David did and ask God to search your heart and mind for you. To reveal those things which should not be and then, then "allow Him" to make the changes as He sees fit.

I do not know if I shall see the "end of days", but I know I shall see the end of my days, just as you will see the end of yours and none of us has a clue when that will be. We do not have time for this...time is something we do not have...no one does. I am a part of you, and you Church, are a part of me and I love you desperately ... we must change before our time is gone and it is too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment