Why The "Panicking Christian"?

Like most Christians, I occasionally find myself in a borderline, all out panic about something which I already knew, but seem to have forgotten or that I only knew in my head, as opposed to my heart. And mercifully, God decides to show me what is really going on or what it is that I needed to know, before I completely lose my mind.

So the writing within is just that. It is that which God has shown and taught me while I was typically in one of those times in my life. Since the way in which He has chosen to reveal things to me tend to be fairly easy to follow and understand, I am sharing them via this format. That said, I take no glory for any of this. It is God whom has given me the ability to write, and it is He who has given me the content to write as well and He who saved me by His glorious grace in the first place.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Don't You Remember?

Memory is a funny thing. We tend to remember things we really should forget about, and yet, forget those things which we should remember.

Has this ever happened to you? You jump up and go to another room to get something. You walk in and then just stand there in the middle of the room staring, with no idea what so ever what it was you came in for. I know it has happened to me more than a time or two.

Our life with Christ is little different than this. We all seem to suffer from chronic short term memory loss.

In the bible we read about how the people were led out of Egypt. Now one would think that after years of slavery plus seeing how God worked up close and personal, the people would have no problem keeping on track. After all, they did get to follow Him along as they traveled as a pillar of cloud during the day and a pillar of fire at night, which never left them (See Exodus 13). They even saw the Lord fight the battle for them against the Egyptians (Exodus 14). So obviously, the people had no problems remembering who God was right?

Wrong. It seemed that every time something came up they started to whine and complain about how they just should have stayed in Egypt. Of how much better off they were back there. And what did God do? Did He do the human response and just say "fine then, back you go"? No. God is God so He did extraordinary things time and time again. Even with wonder after wonder performed, they "still" kept forgetting (building an idol in the desert comes to mind - Exodus 32).

We read the account and shake our heads. How could they forget so quickly? Did they not see and hear and experience? But honestly, are we so different?

I try and take time early in the day to spend some "quality time" with the Lord. I know some people do so at different times, but early has always seemed to work best for me. There have been times in which, for whatever reason, I have not spent that time with Him or I have just hurriedly gone through the motions of it. After a day or two of this, I notice that things seem to give me a bit more of a kicking than normal. Temptations seem greater in number and their succes rates seem to go up noticably. Old things start to pop back up into my head a lot more as well. This has happened more than once. So one would think I would be very intent upon getting that time in with Him. Since it has happened more than once, well, obviously I have my moments. Like the people in the dessert, I forget and need to be reminded. I know I am personally thankful for just how patient God is.

In Matthew 6:27, Jesus asks the question "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" as He explains how we are not to worry about things in this world. So how many of us forget that and worry ourselves sick on a regular basis? He goes on again "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" in verse 34, reminding us to stay in the "here and now", but how many of us worry about a future that we honestly cannot see or even know if we will be there for?

Then we get feeling alone in the world and we forget that He is always with us - Matthew 28:20 - "...surely I am with you always...". He has promised to never leave us or forsake us. To always be there. To always take care of us like the perfect father He is. Knowing what we need and providing it even before we ourselves know it as a need.

And still we forget.

So what are we to do? Well, spending time with Him daily is a good starting place. Making a point to read His word daily is another good idea. Another idea is to keep a record of your own. At those times in which you feel God has been noticeably more active, or has done something very cool, or has made His presence known at a time in which you needed to know He was there, or...well, you get the idea - make a note of it. You do not have to write out a novel or carve a monument, although if you can write a novel, by all means. Just something to remind you of those times so you can look back when you need to...when you forget.

Remember, our God is faithful. He promised to never leave us alone. That He would be with us always. He has kept those promises to everyone who follows Him and He is not likely going to start breaking His word with you.

Remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment