Why The "Panicking Christian"?

Like most Christians, I occasionally find myself in a borderline, all out panic about something which I already knew, but seem to have forgotten or that I only knew in my head, as opposed to my heart. And mercifully, God decides to show me what is really going on or what it is that I needed to know, before I completely lose my mind.

So the writing within is just that. It is that which God has shown and taught me while I was typically in one of those times in my life. Since the way in which He has chosen to reveal things to me tend to be fairly easy to follow and understand, I am sharing them via this format. That said, I take no glory for any of this. It is God whom has given me the ability to write, and it is He who has given me the content to write as well and He who saved me by His glorious grace in the first place.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Storms Bring Rainbows

This posting is from my social media page however, the three posts all came within a single 9 hours period, so I thought I would share on here as well.
===
"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you" ~ Matthew 5:44 (NKJV)

Now then, take a cue from the book of James here and do not merely read that and then just forget about it (James 1:23-24). The Word of God is meant to change you - the way you think, respond and act - it is not meant to be merely glanced at, acknowledged with a head nod and a "yep" and then forgotten about five seconds later.

I do not know what they did to you. I do not know what they have said about or to you, the slanders against you, the way they betrayed you and your trust or anything else, any more than you know mine. I do know that when the early Church practiced doing this, they were being hunted and killed like animals (and sometimes by animals). So am thinking, if they could pray for those people then, maybe we can for the ones who have hurt, used and betrayed us as well.
===
Now here is an interesting exercise/undertaking to try.

Take a look at the people currently - or previously - in your life. Not the obvious good influence people though (like that teacher who encouraged you or whatever). No, look at the ones who have hurt you, betrayed you, lied to and about you, used you and so. Now take a look and see what you got from them. See what it is that God showed you about yourself, others or Himself through your less than wonderful experiences with them. If you are a believer, then there most likely is something good in there - although you may have to be intentional to see or find it (If you are not a believer, try it anyway - may find a surprise or two hidden beneath the pain).
===
So with the previous status in mind, I would like to write a little thank you note (no names obviously) to those who - with God's help - helped make me whom I am today.

A thank you, to the one who pretended to be a friend to my face but was anything but when apart from me. By the grace of God, I was still a friend to you so I have learned that I can offer help, friendship and trust to those whom have not earned it and that I am capable of overlooking minor offenses.

A thank you to the one who betrayed my confidence and my trust. By the grace of God, I did not return the favor and respond in kind. So I have learned that I can keep another in confidence, even when it would serve my wounded feelings to not do so.

A thank you to the one I loved who merely used and abused me because you could so. By the grace of God, I loved you in spite of it all. I learned I can actually truly love another human being without them having to earn it somehow.

A thank you to the one who took advantage of my heart, passion and compassion. By the grace of God, I did not withhold anything from you, even though I knew what you were doing. I learned that I would rather have my heart on my sleeve and risk the pain, than to wall it in and feel nothing.

For each of these, I say "by the grace of God" for it is Him I credit with good coming out of things and events which most certainly were not. I say thank you to the "one" but there has surely been more than one. Oh, one more thing I have learned: that my God will never, ever leave me.

PS: No, I do not want to have any more of any ill thing or event in my life, if that is all the same to you - just worth the mentioning.

It is almost a shame that our faith grows and our character is forged faster and greater when we go through the storm than when we are laying comfortably on the beach. Still, not about to go chasing storms.

One final note:  I do not say or offer any of those "thank yous" in a hateful, "holier than thou" or smug manner - each is sincere. For if they did not provide the storm, I never would have seen the rainbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment