Why The "Panicking Christian"?

Like most Christians, I occasionally find myself in a borderline, all out panic about something which I already knew, but seem to have forgotten or that I only knew in my head, as opposed to my heart. And mercifully, God decides to show me what is really going on or what it is that I needed to know, before I completely lose my mind.

So the writing within is just that. It is that which God has shown and taught me while I was typically in one of those times in my life. Since the way in which He has chosen to reveal things to me tend to be fairly easy to follow and understand, I am sharing them via this format. That said, I take no glory for any of this. It is God whom has given me the ability to write, and it is He who has given me the content to write as well and He who saved me by His glorious grace in the first place.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

You say potato, I say...


Over time, I have come to realize that there are some things which I had thought were common knowledge which may, in fact, not be quite so clear to many outside of the realm of the Christian Church, if not downright misunderstood.  That said, I am going to attempt to hopefully clear some of these up for anyone who would ever wish to know.

Our first item up is with regards to the difference between religion and denomination.  I have heard, at least a few times over the last several months, people commenting that various denominations were different than being Christian.  I mean denominations within the Church, for anyone confused at this point.  For example, stating that Catholic, Baptist and Christian were all different religions.

Now then, while different denominations and/or traditions may do some things differently, if they are a Christian church, they follow and serve the exact same Christ as each other does.  Music provides a wonderful way to understand this a bit more clearly.

Let us use rock music for our example.  Rock music is a specific kind of music, but it has many different variations within it.  Heavy metal, rock-a-billy and pop are all rock music but each one is very different in the way in which they express themselves and they appeal to different people in differing ways.  They are, however, still all rock and roll music.  Similarly, there are many different divisions or forms of the Christian church, each one appealing to different people.  Catholic, Baptist, United, Pentecostal, Charismatic, and so on appeal to different people in different ways and thus people have a choice in what they find more comfortable and fitting to their own personality.

However, is opera music considered to be rock and roll?  No, as there are certain things which are present in one form over another.  The same is true with churches.  Just because a church exists and calls themselves a church, does not mean it is a Christian church.  So how does one know which is which?  By looking to the bare basics and not in how they do things as a group.  Yes, I will give you a few guide lines to look for.

A belief in one God, made up of three persons:  Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  That God created the world and all of creation.  That humanity needs salvation and that it is possible for each person to receive that through faith in Jesus, the Son of God.  That Jesus was born of the virgin Mary, lived and preached until He was crucified by Pilate, and was dead and buried for three days.  On the third day He rose from the grave and later, ascended into heaven where He is still quite alive and well to this very day.  It was this willing sacrifice of Himself that allows each person to obtain salvation.  Lastly, that Jesus will return again not as a peace keeper, but as Judge over both the living and the dead.

That is a pretty basic rundown but if a church believes that, it is probably pretty safe to say they are a Christian church.  However, if they do not or they believe only in part, then regardless of the name on the door, they are not a Christian church (for example:  if they believe in one God but believe that Jesus was just a prophet or a really nice guy, then no, they are not a Christian church).

Different churches do things in different ways.  Do they, perhaps, do things in ways which are not ideal by times?  Most likely, they are made up of people after all and we can make some pretty big messes sometimes.

Well, that would be the first topic in a brief nutshell.  I will endeavour to explain other items in future writings and I pray that hopefully I have helped to clear some items up for someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment