Why The "Panicking Christian"?

Like most Christians, I occasionally find myself in a borderline, all out panic about something which I already knew, but seem to have forgotten or that I only knew in my head, as opposed to my heart. And mercifully, God decides to show me what is really going on or what it is that I needed to know, before I completely lose my mind.

So the writing within is just that. It is that which God has shown and taught me while I was typically in one of those times in my life. Since the way in which He has chosen to reveal things to me tend to be fairly easy to follow and understand, I am sharing them via this format. That said, I take no glory for any of this. It is God whom has given me the ability to write, and it is He who has given me the content to write as well and He who saved me by His glorious grace in the first place.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Deep Cover

I can relate to the tragedy that we see portrayed movies, tv and (probably) real life with the life of the under cover detective. Not the one who is in and out of whatever precarious situation, no, the plight of the one who "goes deep", becoming their enemy for long periods of time in order to more completely defeat them. The tragedy that we so often see with these characters occurs when they are in too deep for too long and start to believe they really are the gangster - they forget who they "really" are and become that which they truly hate. As a believer and follower of Christ, yes, I can relate all too well.

A common phrase which is said among the Church describes this very thing - that we are to be "in the world" not "of the world" (1 Corinthians 9:19-23 also has a very similar tone, as do other passages).

Consider this, if you will. 2 Corinthians 5:20 calls us ambassadors of Christ. In a worldly sense, we understand the role of an ambassador easy enough, but somehow, we seem to forget that we apply it to the truth of our own lives in Christ. After all, we are told that this world is not our home - that we are here only temporarily (Philippians 3:20 and 1 Peter 2:11-12, as a couple of examples). So why do we continually act as though we are the gangster - a true part not merely an undercover agent?

I mean really, think, really think about just some of the things that God says and us - we are the light of the world, salt of the earth, His children, heirs with Christ (and far more than even that). Makes us sound a lot more heavenly than worldly doesn't it.

Remember Church! Remember who you really are. You are the child of the King! A beautiful, perfect son or daughter of the King of Kings sent into this time and space for a season as His ambassador, His representative of the only true kingdom which shall never fade, fail or go away. Do not get caught up and all but become the world around you. Remember the Truth.

In the words of the apostle Paul:

"I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me" ` Phil. 1:23 - 26

It is not for our own sakes we remain here, but for a world that is lost, deaf and blind and for our Lord who desires all to come to a knowledge of the truth that lies in Christ Jesus, our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment