Why The "Panicking Christian"?

Like most Christians, I occasionally find myself in a borderline, all out panic about something which I already knew, but seem to have forgotten or that I only knew in my head, as opposed to my heart. And mercifully, God decides to show me what is really going on or what it is that I needed to know, before I completely lose my mind.

So the writing within is just that. It is that which God has shown and taught me while I was typically in one of those times in my life. Since the way in which He has chosen to reveal things to me tend to be fairly easy to follow and understand, I am sharing them via this format. That said, I take no glory for any of this. It is God whom has given me the ability to write, and it is He who has given me the content to write as well and He who saved me by His glorious grace in the first place.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Learning to dance

(this is an older piece but thought it worth sharing)

Your instructor walks in and, after showing you the basics, starts to lead you through the steps.

Now you have three choices. One, you can focus all your attention on your own feet and the mistakes you are making, but you will not be watching them so you will not know where they are leading you next. Two, you can half watch your steps and theirs. But again, you are going to miss a lot of what they are doing, and therefore, get lost in the step fairly often. Lastly, you can focus all your attention on them. Granted you may make a few mistakes here and there, but you will see what they want you to do so eventually, you will be able to follow along much better.

So very many Christians can relate far too easily.

By the grace of God through the blood of our Savior, they get saved from death and freed from the power of sin in their lives.

But instead of focusing completely on Him and His leading, they keep looking at their sins. Not only those things in the past, but also, those things which they do wrong in the present as well. Some do nothing but look at sin. Those people cannot follow Him because they are not watching Him. Too concerned about themselves to put their eyes where they should be. Others try and do and "half and half" thing where they look up to see where He is leading once in a while, but keep their heads down the rest of the time. They do get to move forward a bit, but end up lost in the steps. Those remaining, they keep their eyes on our Lord and Him alone, not focusing on sins that have been forgiven or mistakes they may make along the way. Instead, with their eyes firmly locked upon Him, they move forward, staying on the straight path as they follow His lead.

Galatians 5:25 - "Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

No comments:

Post a Comment